Friday, September 16, 2011

So any bad broadcasting puns to start this week’s blog… (This is way too quick for me to have run out). I’ll just start then. This week a very interesting thing happened to one of my students while they were shooting an interview for the newscast. There was a car accident in the background. You see the start of it and hear the crash. Take a look.



Although this was a minor little fender bender it brings up the notion of events unfolding on camera. The student stopped recording where I would have put the camera onto the accident to see if there was a story there. I’m not sure if that is a positive or negative for me or the student. Beyond the news instinct, the saturation of technology does put a camera in front of unfolding events everywhere. The Quad Cites had recent example where a mother of an elementary school student was videotaping with her phone her child’s bus. There had been reports that the driver was not extending the stop sign. The mother caught on her phone the bus rolling forward when the drive forgot to engage the break when she got up to calm down students on the bus.
This week I will have to cut it short. The clock on the wall says I am about out of time (and you thought I was out of broadcasting lingo). If you are looking for other activities this Parents Weekend, the Black Earth Film Festival is going on in Galesburg this weekend and yours truly is moderating a panel on filmmaking Saturday afternoon at 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment